Expat Auto Leasing and Rental Canada

Get the car you need for your everyday life or next adventure!

Contact us

Expatriates can get a car without a Canadian credit history or Canadian driver's license*

You can arrange for your car before or after you move to Canada. ExpatRide together with our Canadian partner provides expat car financing (lease and purchase) for used and new cars to foreign professionals or businesses without a Canadian credit history.

Personal car shopper service a free destination support service

With the “Personal Car Shopper Service”, you will get intercultural advice from a knowledgeable and skilled contact person who perfectly knows the expatriate auto market in Canada.

* Canadian driver’s license not required in most provinces

New & Used Cars for Foreign Professionals

Let your Personal Car Specialist assist you with locating the right car for you or find it yourself at a local dealer.

Expat Auto Financing or Leasing?

Financing or leasing from 0% interest rate and up depending on the vehicle for qualifying expatriates.

Auto Insurance

Get competitively priced insurance for expats. No Canadian driver’s license needed to set up coverage.

Car Rentals for foreign professionals

Rentals are from 1 day up to 12 months. The rental car program covers 175 countries globally.

What it Takes and Costs to Lease a Car in Canada

Open End Finance Program – We developed a finance program specifically tailored for the needs of expatriates.

Program Details

No Canadian driver’s license needed in most provinces. Complete contact form below to get started.

  • Nationwide Expat Auto Leasing / finance program
  • Start building your Canadian credit score
  • New and used cars
  • Expat Auto Insurance assistance

Finance Details

  • Finance period 24 – 60 months
  • Minimum finance amount is $12,000
  • 7 – 9 days from signature to delivery
  • Insurance assistance

We are not able to offer financing for students or retired individuals. We also cannot to assist with vehicles obtained through private sellers.

How to Apply

The following documents are required to apply:

  • Completed finance application
  • Copy of passport with photo and work visa
  • Copy of valid driver’s license
  • Letter of employment stating salary, term and allowances


Payment due at delivery consists of:

  • Registration fee and taxes
  • Lease inception fee (bank fee)
  • First full month finance payment
  • Down payment may be required. Subject to credit review

Tell us what type of car you want, and we will find it for you nationwide

We arrange rentals and leases in all cities and provinces: Toronto, Ontario – Montreal, Quebec – Vancouver, British Columbia – Calgary, Alberta – Edmonton, Alberta – Ottawa–Gatineau, Ontario/Quebec – Winnipeg, Manitoba – Quebec City, Quebec – Hamilton, Ontario – Kitchener, Ontario – London, Ontario – Victoria, British Columbia – Halifax, Nova Scotia – Oshawa, Ontario – Windsor, Ontario – Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – St. Catharines–Niagara, Ontario – Regina, Saskatchewan – St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador – Kelowna, British Columbia and many more cities…


  • Is there a minimum finance amount?

    Yes, the minimum finance amount is CAD 12,000.

  • Are you able to assist with used cars?

    Yes, we can assist with both new and used vehicles in Canada.

  • I found a car that I like at a local dealership. Could you assist?

    Yes, just contact us with the details on the car and dealership contact information, and we will assist you with financing.

  • Do you provide car maintenance?

    Yes, we offer a program for car maintenance.

  • What is Personal Car Shopper Service?

    We search for your vehicle according to your wishes, needs and budget (new or used). Your Personal Car Shopper will locate and negotiate pricing on your behalf with a dealer close to your location. In most cases, your Personal Car Shopper can get bet¬ter pricing because of arrangements made with vehicle manufacture, dealerships, and financing companies.

  • What is the expected delivery time?

    The expected delivery time is 7-9 days from signing the agreement.

  • If I need to leave Canada earlier than expected, what happens to my lease?

    We can help with both early lease termination and owned vehicle resale.

  • Is insurance included in the lease?

    No, insurance is arranged separately. We can assist with finding an insurance provider.

  • Do you support Global Mobility HR with their expats’ transportation needs?

    Yes, we can assist corporate human resource divisions in coordinating all transportation needs for their employees on international assignments.

  • Do you offer corporations direct billing via invoicing instead of credit card payment?

    Yes, we offer different payment options worldwide for corporations. This is individually accessed and may not be available for all.

  • How can ExpatRide support our corporate relocation service needs?

    We work with you to establish a global mobility program for all aspects of car transportation. Aligning customary transportation across continents, budgets, allowances, self-pay, approved vehicles, individually tailored solutions, and centralized direct billing arrangement across all services.

    If you work with a Relocation Management Company. We can support and implement the plan mentioned above together with the RMC, including coordinating expense management for your employees, thus utilizing the relocation support services infrastructure already provided to you by the RMC. We work with all the major RMCs and Destination Services Providers.

    Please see more information on our “Corporate page”

  • Is ExpatRide specialized in only supporting expatriates, or is it available for short-term and domestic needs?

    ExpatRide’s primary focus is on workforce mobility services. It includes all employees’ transportation needs, be it short-term international assignments or long-term and permanent moves. We can assist employees moving domestically and internationally.

Practical Information on Driving in Canada

Alcohol & Driving

Don’t do it! Driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) is a serious offense in Canada and can result in a driving suspension, vehicle impounding, or arrest. Canada’s blood alcohol standards are very strict. It is a criminal offense to drive with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 percent.

Kids in Cars

Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act requires children weighing 18 kg to 36 kg (40 to 80 lb.), standing less than 145 cm (4 ft. 9 in.) tall and who are under the age of 8 to use a booster seat or allows the continued use of a forward-facing seat as long as the car seat manufacturer recommends its use.


You need a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance to drive a car in Canada.

Minimum Age

Canada’s driving age is determined on a province-by-province basis. The age to begin learning is 16 in most provinces. The notable exception is Alberta, where a Learner’s Permit may be obtained at 14 years of age.

Auto Insurance for expatriates

Car insurance is required by law in Canada and all drivers must have third party liability insurance. The minimum amount of liability insurance in the country is $200,000, except in Quebec where it is $50,000.

Phone & Driving

Cellular devices must be used “hands-free” when driving

Seat Belts

All provinces in Canada have primary enforcement seat belt laws.

Speed Limit

In most provinces and territories, statutory speed limits are as follows:
Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
Rural areas: 80 km/h (50 mph)
Most grade-separated freeways: 100 km/h (62 mph) or 110 km/h (68 mph)

Driver's License

If you have a valid license from your home country, you will probably be able to use this to drive in Canada for a short time after you arrive. Check with the government of your province or territory for details.
If you plan to use a foreign driver’s license in Canada, you should get an International Driving Permit (IDP) in your home country. An International License will give you a translation of your license into French and English.

How to Exchange your foreign driver’s license to a Canadian Driver’s License

Depending on which country you are from, you may be able to simply exchange your foreign license for a driver license in Canada without the need to sit any road tests. However, many newcomers to Canada need to sit a theory test and road test before they can obtain a Canadian driving license, even if they already have years of driving experience outside Canada.

Licenses issued in another province or territory in Canada may also be exchanged for the relevant provincial license. All provincial/territorial jurisdictions have different regulations, so refer to the relevant jurisdiction for details. To exchange a driving license, it is generally necessary to:

• Complete an eye test
• Provide a valid driving license (if this is not in English or French, it may need to be translated)
• Show proof of identity
• Provide proof of address (for example a utility bill)
• Pay a fee
• It may also be necessary to complete a knowledge test if the person has been driving for less than two years

Reciprocity Agreements

If you have a driver’s license from a jurisdiction with License Exchange Agreement, you can benefit from this privilege.

The type of license you can get depends on how much driving experience you have. You follow the same process as drivers with a license from another Canadian province and from Canadian Forces – Europe.

Note: Information may not be up-to-date. Please check official government information for latest laws and regulations.

Read more on the website below:

How to exchange your driver’s license

We finance most makes and models nationwide

We offer the following car brands and any other car brand available in Canada

"So responsive and a pleasure to deal with"

– Neil from Britain, Ford Explorer

"I highly recommend ExpatRide for anybody looking for a car after making the big move!"

– Andreas from Denmark, Audi A4

”Thanks for all your help to make it (the delivery) happen. I'm really happy with the vehicle, it's perfect.”

- Roberto from Brazil, Ford Mustang

”The service we received was amazing! Out of everything we've had to do with our move overseas, getting our new car was the easiest and most stress-free."

We are here to assist!

    • Start process before or after arrival to Canada
    • Nationwide expat program
    • We can source any make and model
    • Personal Car Shopper Service (free service) - saves time and hassle with visiting dealers
    • Competitive interest rate
    • Assistance throughout the term in regards to registration, renewals, etc.
    • Access to nationwide maintenance program
    • Several options at end of lease: Renew, change to purchase, pay off, return or exchange