Expat Car Leasing, Finance and Rental

We also assist with Airport Transfers and Daily Chauffeur Service

Contact us

Expatriates can get a car without a U.S. credit history

Relocation support for all your mobility needs! As a foreign professional, you can arrange for your car before or after you move to the U.S. With our program, there are no restrictions on when to start the process. ExpatRide provides leasing for new cars and financing for used cars to individuals without a U.S. credit history.

Our program for expatriates will save you time, hassle and money

The “Personal Car Shopper Service” gives you the benefit of a skilled and knowledgeable contact person who understands the auto market in the U.S.

New Cars for Expatriates

Let your Personal Car Specialist assist you with locating the right car lease or finance for you. Ask us about our current best deals.

Car Rental for Foreign Professionals

Rentals are from 1 day up to 24 months. The rental car program covers 175 countries globally.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What value can the ExpatRide program offer me?

    Our program was created with the expatriate’s needs in mind; it is designed to save you time, hassle, and money. The assistance from a Personal Car Specialist gives you the benefit of a skilled and knowledgeable contact person who understands the auto market in the U.S.

    Many customers find it challenging to navigate the American car market. Your Personal Car Specialist will work with you to find the best fit for your situation. The goal is to match your needs, wants, and budget.

    We offer:

    • Lease new (24 – 48 months)
    • Finance new and used (24 – 48 months)
    • Car rental (1 day – 24 months)
    • Auto insurance
    • Limousine service

  • What information is required to start the process?

    What information is required to start the process?
    Once the questions are answered from the initial email, the following documents are required to start the process:

    • Passport, photo page only
    • Offer Letter or Employment Contract – a document from your company stating your salary, length of the assignment, length of employment, and allowances related to your U.S. relocation.
    • U. S. work visa stamp and I-94 (after arrival). You will receive a quote without the visa; however it is needed to finalize the process.

  • My visa isn’t ready yet – can I still submit my documents?

    Yes, we can start the process without your visa and I-94, but it would be needed to finalize an agreement.

  • Do I need a U.S. state driver’s license or state ID for car leasing/financing?

    A local U.S driver’s license or state ID is not needed to receive a quote. However, if you decide to proceed, in most cases, the local U.S driver’s license will be required for final approval by leasing company.

    Additionally, without a U.S. Driver’s License, your insurance rate will likely be higher. Having a U.S. Driver’s License should lower those rates significantly.

  • How long does the lease process take?

    This process depends on a few things.

    • How fast we receive your information and the required documents
    • How flexible you are with make/model
    • If you have a social security card
    • If you have received your state DL or state ID

    Once you have decided on a car and the initial funds have been sent, it takes 5-14 business days in most states to complete the paperwork that must be done before you can take possession of the car.

  • I want to take possession of my car right after I arrive- is this possible?

    There are a few different factors to keep in mind for this answer:

    • You will need to obtain a U.S. driver’s license or state ID to finalize the agreement.
    • You will need to have a U.S. bank account established to set up automatic monthly payments before you take possession of the car.
    • The time it takes to register a vehicle in the different states in the U.S. vary from 2-3 days up to 4-5 weeks.

  • Can I lease/finance a car for my spouse or family member?

    The agreement would be set up under the person who holds the U.S. work visa. A spouse can be added as a driver.

  • Can I lease more than one vehicle?

    Yes, many customers lease more than one car.

  • What is the minimum lease period?

    The shortest term available for Car leasing is 24 months.
    The length of the term is based on the length of your assignment and cannot be longer than the expiration date of your visa.

  • Can I use my international driver’s license or the driver's license from my home country?

    No, not for car leasing or financing. However, for car rental, the above documents will be enough.

  • How long does it take to receive a quote?

    As soon as we have received the required documents, it will take 1-2 business days to receive a non-binding quote.

  • Do I need a U.S. credit score to lease a car through ExpatRide?

    No, you do not need a U.S. credit score.

    At ExpatRide, we work around the U.S credit system. To do so, we need some documents (passport, work visa, and employment contract) so that we can build a credit profile and provide you with quotes.

  • What is the difference between leasing a car and renting a car?

    Car leasing with ExpatRide starts at 24 months. With a lease, you only pay for the amount the vehicle is expected to depreciate during your term. A lease agreement can only be as long as your visa is valid. Car leasing usually requires a down payment. When you lease a car, you will pay separately for car insurance.

    Our rental program is for anyone who needs a car from 1 day up to 24 months. Car insurance can be included. An international driver’s license or the driver's license from your home country is required. A local U.S driver’s license or state ID is not needed when renting a car.

  • Can I break the lease earlier than my contract agreement?

    It’s possible to break a lease early, however it’s not advisable because you would have to pay the remaining portion of the lease agreement.

  • What is the Application Processing fee?

    With a lease agreement, there will be an Application Processing fee of $995 charged by ExpatRide. The application processing fee covers the administrative costs for setting up a leasing agreement. It is sometimes called a "bank fee" or "assignment fee.” Car leasing and financing institutions charge this fee and may vary from $600.00 to $1,400.00.

  • Do I need to perform maintenance on a leased vehicle?

    Yes. As part of your lease agreement, you are responsible for servicing your vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s minimum recommendations and as requested by the manufacturer in connection with any recall campaign.

  • If I lease, am I responsible for sales tax and property tax?

    In some states, you pay sales tax based upon your monthly payments. Other states require you to pay tax on the full value of the vehicle. Property tax treatment varies from state to state. Ask your Personal Car Specialist for information about the tax regulations in your state.

  • What is the interest rate?

    The underwriter mostly dictates the interest rates, and it’s truly a case by case situation.

  • What foreign car brands are not available in the U.S.?

    The following major car brands are not available: AvtoVAZ, Brilliance, BYD, Chery, Citroen, Great Wall, Geely, Holden, Isuzu, JAC, Lada, Lancia, Lifan, Opel (Vauxhall), Peugeot, Renault, Rover (Roewe), SAIC, Saipa, Seat, Skoda, SsangYong, Tata, Wiesmann.

  • What U.S. states are ExpatRide’s services available?

    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

  • Can you assist with car leasing in all major cities in the U.S.?

    Yes, ALL cities no matter size, but of course all the major cities too: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Houston, Detroit, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix, Baltimore, San Antonio, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Washington, Milwaukee, San Jose, Cleveland, Columbus, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Seattle, Denver, Nashville, St. Louis, Kansas City, El Paso, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, Cincinnati, Fort Worth, Minneapolis, Portland, Honolulu, Long Beach, Tulsa, Buffalo, Toledo, Miami, Austin, Oakland, Albuquerque, Tucson, Newark, Birmingham, Sacramento, Tampa, St. Paul, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Rochester, St. Petersburg, Akron, Corpus Christi, Jersey City, Baton Rouge, Anaheim, Richmond, Fresno, Colorado Springs, Lexington, Santa Ana, Jackson, Mobile, Yonkers, Dayton, Des Moines, Grand Rapids, Anchorage, Lubbock, Lincoln, Spokane, Madison, Riverside, Huntington Beach, Syracuse, Chattanooga, Las Vegas, Metairie, Salt Lake City, Worcester, Warren, Arlington, Flint, Little Rock, Aurora, Tacoma, Providence, Mesa, Springfield, Amarillo, Stockton, Hialeah, Newport News, Bridgeport, Huntsville, Savannah, Glendale, Garland, Paterson, Fremont, Evansville, Lansing, Torrance, Orlando, New Haven, Peoria, Garden Grove, Hampton, Hollywood, Erie, Topeka, San Bernardino, Beaumont, Pasadena.

  • Does ExpatRide work with relocation companies?

    Yes, we are a preferred supplier to many of the major relocation companies. If your employer works with any of the relocation companies (RMCs) or destination services companies (DSPs) they can coordinate access to our services for through your employer. Regularly, we have training sessions for the RMCs' and DSPs' Global Mobility Consultants (GMS, Global Mobility Specialist and CRP, Certified Relocation Professional ), to ensure the best possible service for the international assignees.

    Having a global mobility strategy for the transportation needs of a company's global talent mobility is key to global mobility success.

  • Rental Car: What does insurance cover?

    Our U.S rentals include the following coverage:

    With Damage Waiver (DW), Enterprise waives or reduces the renter's responsibility for loss of, or damage to, the rental vehicle (including but not limited to towing, storage, loss of use, administrative fees and/or diminishment of value) subject to the terms and conditions of the rental agreement and applicable laws.
    The Supplemental Liability Protection (SLP) covers damage to a third party’s personal property. The liability included in the rate covers split limits of $100,000 bodily injury or death per person, $300,000 bodily injury, or death per occurrence, $50,000 property damage.

    Zero deductible

  • Rental Car: Do I need a U.S. state driver license to rent a car?

    No, your international DL is ok, If the home country driver's license is in a language other than English and the letters are not English (i.e. alphabet is not an extended Latin-based alphabet like German or Spanish but is Russian, Japanese, Arabic, Chinese etc.) an International Driver's Permit is required.
    You need to bring your credit card, current driver’s license, and passport when you pick up the rental car.

  • Rental Car: What do you need from me in order to send me a quote?

    - The size car you require
    - How long you need the car (or we can send a monthly quote)
    - Date and time you wish to pick up the car (not needed if just a quote)
    - Your address so that we can find a rental location closest to your residence or workplace?

  • Rental Car: Can I rent a specific brand?

    Rental cars are based on vehicle size, the model/make of car you would receive is based on availability at the time of pick up. However, at some locations, we’re able to assist with Exotic brands. If you are interested in this, please don’t hesitate to ask us.

  • Rental Car: Can you assist with a car seat for my child?

    The majority of all rental offices at the airports have car seats available. It is based on availability. Depending on the length of the rental agreement and the pickup location, it can be more economical for the customer to bring their car seats on the flight or purchase a new one at a local store.

  • Rental Car: What is the cost for using ExpatRide service?

    We don’t charge our customers for our service, but we have marketing agreements with our partners. In cases where we handle the invoicing in-house, we typically add a service fee.

  • Rental Car: I will take the drivers license test and need proof of insurance, what should I do?

    During pickup, you should receive a paper copy or email copy of the rental agreement which you can present at the DMV office (Department of Motor Vehicles). If you do not have that copy you can stop by any Enterprise rental location for a new copy.

  • Rental Car: If my reservation is over a longer period of time will the price go down?

    No, the monthly rate will stay the same. However, the rate may be higher for daily/weekly rentals.

  • Rental Car: Is there an age limit for renting a car?

    A driver must be at least 21 to be able to rent a car.

  • Rental Car: Additional Driver for U.S?

    Spouse/Domestic Partner is authorized at no additional cost, no need to be present at the rental counter, and show proof of DL or be listed on the RA - will need to have a current driver’s license. Co-workers working for the same company as the Main driver can drive the car at no additional cost, no need to be present at the rental counter, and show proof of DL or be listed on the RA - will need to have a current driver’s license. The main driver will be responsible if they do not have a current DL. Insurance will not be valid if a driver drives the rental car and do not have a valid DL.

  • Is ExpatRide specialized in only supporting expatriates, or is it available for short-term and domestic needs?

    ExpatRide’s primary focus is on workforce mobility services. It includes all employees’ transportation needs, be it short-term international assignments or long-term and permanent moves. We can assist employees moving domestically and internationally.

  • How can ExpatRide support our corporate relocation service needs?

    We work with you to establish a global mobility program for all aspects of car transportation. Aligning customary transportation across continents, budgets, allowances, self-pay, approved vehicles, individually tailored solutions, and centralized direct billing arrangement across all services.

    If you with a Relocation Management Company. We can support and implement the plan mentioned above together with the RMC, including coordinating expense management for your employees, thus utilizing the relocation support services infrastructure already provided to you by the RMC. We work with all the major RMCs and Destination Services Providers.

    Please see more information on our “Corporate page”

  • Do you offer corporations direct billing via invoicing instead of credit card payment?

    Yes, we offer different payment options worldwide for corporations. This is individually accessed and may not be available for all

  • Do you support Global Mobility HR with their expats’ transportation needs?

    Yes, we can assist corporate human resource divisions in coordinating all transportation needs for their employees on international assignments.

Practical Information on Driving in the USA

Speed Limits

Speed limits in the USA are set by the state rather than at national level and are posted in miles per hour (mph) and generally use increments of 5mph. The general rule of thumb is that states with vast open freeways will tend to have higher speed limits, whereas smaller states with higher populations and busier freeways are likely to have the slower maximum speed limits.

Kids in cars

Children ages 8 until 17 are required to wear a seat belt in all seats. Children ages 4 until 8 must ride in a child safety seat or booster seat unless they are over 4 feet 9 inches or weigh more than 40 lbs. Children under age 4 must be restrained in a child passenger restraint system.

Minimum age

The minimum age to drive in the USA is 16 years of age.


You are required to provide specific documents for identification and residency that may include a valid U.S. driver’s license, international or home country driver’s license, and/or Social Security card. You will also be asked to show proof that your car is insured.

Alcohol and driving

For drivers 21 years or older, driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher is illegal. For drivers under 21 years old, the legal limit is lower, with state limits ranging from 0.00 to 0.02.

Auto Insurance

Car insurance is required to drive or own a car in the United States, even if you are not a resident of the U.S. or have a foreign driver’s license. Short-term visitors to the United States who are renting a car can typically buy the necessary insurance coverage directly from the rental company. ExpatRide’s rental car program includes Damage Waiver and SLP in our rental car rates.

Phone and driving

22 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands prohibit all drivers from using handheld cellphones while driving.

Seat belts

Seat belts are required for all occupants of the vehicle.

Driver's License

All U.S. states recognize foreign drivers’ licenses. In most cases, your license will be valid for up to 4 months after the date you enter the U.S. Consult the DMV in the state where you wish to drive to confirm the length of validity and the rules for driving with a foreign driver’s license.
The United States driving laws state that you’re required to have a valid driving license in possession to be able to drive in the US. This can be either issued by a US State or a foreign country. So, yes, you can drive with a foreign license in the US. But that doesn’t mean to say there aren’t any form of limitations. In most cases, you’ll need a U.S. driver’s license or State ID to be able to lease and register a car.

How to Exchange your foreign driver’s license to a US Drivers License

The majority of expats that wish to obtain a driving license in the US will have to go through the full application process. The details of the procedures, like the documents you need to present and fees you need to pay, will differ from state to state but the general steps are usually the same. Typically, at least some of the following documents are required for application:

• A form of ID that has your name, picture, and your date of birth on it (passport)
• Your Social Security Number or a proof that you cannot obtain one
• Proof of lawful presence in the US (visa, permanent resident card, citizenship certification, etc.)
• Proof of residence in that state (state ID, utility bill, bank statement, etc.)
• Your international driver’s license
• Passport photo (in some cases this will be taken during the application process)

In order to obtain your license, you will need to pass both a written and a practical test. Written tests include 20 to 50 questions about the traffic rules and regulations of the state. The tests might be timed or not and you might have an option to take the test in your native language as well. You can study your state’s DMV handbook and practice taking the test online.
DMV handbook.

Once you passed the written test, you will have to schedule your practice exam. Apart from driving, expect to be asked to show your parking and reversing skills and the knowledge of vehicles and its controls. The exam can take from 30 to 40 minutes.
Once all the documents are submitted and the exams are passed, you will get issued a temporary license that will be valid 30 to 90 days, depending on the state. You will get your permanent license mailed to your address.

Reciprocity Agreements

Some US states have so called reciprocity agreements with other countries. This means that if your driving permit has been issued in one of these countries, you will be able to simply exchange it for a US driving license of that state (and typically vice versa) without having to take any tests. Those countries include:
• Canada
• France
• Germany
• South Korea
• Taiwan
• Japan

Note: Information may not be up to date. Please check official government information for latest laws and regulations.

We finance most makes and models nationwide

Some of the car brands available in the U.S.

"So responsive and a pleasure to deal with."

– Neil from Britain, Ford Explorer

"I highly recommend ExpatRide for anybody looking for a car after making the big move!"

– Andreas from Denmark, 2018 Audi A4

”Thanks for all your help to make it (the delivery) happen. I'm really happy with the vehicle; it's perfect.”

- Roberto from Brazil, Ford Mustang

”The service we received was amazing! Out of everything we've had to do with our move overseas, getting our new car was the most comfortable and stress-free."

We are here to assist!

    • Start process before or after relocating to the U.S.
    • Build U.S. credit score
    • Nationwide expat program
    • Intercultural assistance with competitive auto insurance
    • We can source most makes and models
    • Time-saving auto service
    • Personal Car Shopper Service (free service) - saves time and hassle with visiting dealers
    • Assistance throughout the term in regards to registration, renewals, etc.